Re: confused between explain plan and analyze table

From: Harry Boswell <NOhboswel1SPAM_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:57:45 -0500

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:26:02 GMT, Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote:

>> Does a table get analyzed every time the database is started?
>
>No. It only gets analyzed when the DBMS_STATS pkg is invoked somehow for
>that table, or the ANALYZE TABLE command is done for that table. You can
>automate this with the ON STARTUP trigger, but that probably isn't a
>good idea. Stats should be computed when there have been significant
>changes to the data in the table, and database startup is not an
>indicator of these changes.

I asked because the last_analyzed_date as presented by TOAD showed it was last analyzed at 4:02 AM this morning. I certainly didn't do it then, and no one else here would know how. However, I have a script to shut the database, back it up, and restart it in the wee hours. I've never analyzed this particular table, so I'm wondering where it got that date/time from.

Thanks,
Harry Boswell Received on Thu Sep 25 2003 - 16:57:45 CDT