Re: Oracle Software Owner WIndows 2K

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:30:54 +0100

"Matt" <mccmx_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cfee5bcf.0309250449.3f714acf_at_posting.google.com...
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a query about security/ownership of the Oracle software on
> Windows 2K.
>
> We have an 8.1.7 install on Windows that was installed using the
> Domain Admin account. Therefore the Oracle binaries and database
> files are owned by the domain admin account.
>
> The Oracle database is configured as a service on Win 2K and runs
> under the SYSTEM account. Therefore in theory it is independant of a
> user account.
>
> One of the security guys on site is planning to remove the domain
> admin accounts from all the servers and I'm concerned that this will
> affect the database setup.

Assuming that your servers are members of an NT domain/or AD then removing all rights for domain accounts to admin them is one of the daftest things I have ever come across. I can't think of any reason why one would do this - other than to make windows admin harder than it should be obviously. As far as you are concerned ensuring that the relevant dba domain user accounts are members of the local ORA_DBA groups and that the services run under the SYSTEM account (or one equally privileged) will do you just fine.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA