Re: What's fast way to get total of records

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Sep 2003 01:28:58 GMT

"zhao" <zhaohui_at_goconnect.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone tell me what's fast way to get total of records in a table
> except using "select count(*)" statement?

I rather doubt there is one for Oracle. If there is a primary key or otherwise not null index, it could be used in the count(*) and make it faster than a table scan.

> Can I get the information from
> a system table?

Maintaining such information would create a single point of serialization (or create a lot of overhead to avoid such a point of serialization), and that would be anathema to Oracle.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service              New Rate! $9.95/Month 50GB