Re: sqllder hangs at 99-100% CPU on select of fet$

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 11:48:11 +0100

"Don Seiler" <don_at_seiler.us> wrote in message news:pan.2003.09.24.05.16.59.15543_at_seiler.us...
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 22:15:14 -0700, Daniel Morgan wrote:
>
> > Time estimates are impossible. Even approximations unlikely to be
> > accurate. Can't you get a copy of 8i and install
> > it just long enough to upgrade 7.3.4 to 8i and then 8i to 9i all in
> > place. That way you won't have to perform any
> > exports or imports. And I, for one, wouldn't want to move 286GB unless I
> > had to.
>
> Not sure why I would do the 8i step when I can migrate directly from 7.3.4
> to 9i in place. I was just considering exp/imp as a way to also clean up
> the physical structure of the database.
>
> I'll see if I can get the sys admin to give me a slice of disk and export
> the test database which I just loaded from a production hot backup.

In principle I think I'd prefer the exp/imp routine for the reasons you suggest. However 1/4 terabyte will take a very long time indeed. If you have the disk space another alternative is to do the in place upgrade - leaving the mess you have got in place and then once you are happy create a whole new set of tablespaces and move your objects across using dbms_redefinition which is a new 9i package for online operations (though there are restrictions).

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA