Re: Please help: Oracle9i/AIX5.2/Veritas vxvm raw devices Problem

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 20:34:06 +1000

  1. Fuentes wrote:

[snip]

> Oracle instances "living" in diferent RAC nodes can share the same raw
> devices.

Naturally. That's the very definition of a RAC.

http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/GeneralInfo/Oracle/rac.920/a96600/cfgdsk.htm#100855
> 4 )

Read what I wrote again. I said archive logs, the init.ora and the oracle executables can not be stored on a raw device. That's all. I know what a RAC is, I don't need to read it!

> However, the scope of this posting was a search for hints about how to
> create a database
> or why sql CREATE DATABASE failed when instructed to use veritas raw
> devices.

The scope of *my* posting was merely to correct a mistake/misstatement/misunderstanding you included in one of your posts about 'having' to install onto raw. That's all.

>(It doesnt
> fail when CREATE DATABASE is issued to use AIX raw devices So controlfiles
> and logs CAN be
> writen to a raw partition).

I didn't say they couldn't!. One more time: *archive logs* and init.ora's and oracle executables can NOT be written to raw. That's all.

>I became interested in this issue because I
> know it was done before, in
> a big Company. I got Oracle to use Veritas raw devices for the datafiles
> but as I stated
> before by first creating the database in a Veritas FileSystem and then
> afterwards using the
> ALTER DATABASE RENAME FILE 'xxx' TO 'my veritas-raw volume' command.
> ie migrating the datafiles to the Veritas Raw device.
>
> Still, any clue about this issue of how to create a database using Veritas
> raw volumes
> will be dearly appreciated

I wasn't following the thread until I saw your comment about RAC "requiring" raw partitions, so I don't know what error messages you got, what the exact setup is, and so on. So I can only offer general advice which you may have already covered in the thread or already ruled out for yourself.

But here goes anyway...

Hopefully, you've already checked that both nodes can see and access the shared disk. And that the cluster management software is installed on both nodes, and that both machines can see each other across the interconnect.

Check whether you are using an SPFILE. I wouldn't myself create a database with one, but instead use a pfile and convert to an Spfile from there. If you are using an spfile, make sure it's on the shared disk, and make sure init.ora's are left behind on each node's ORACLE_HOME/dbs pointing to it, correctly. Make sure you are not trying to store archive logs onto the raw device (hopefully you aren't creating the database in archivelog mode anyway). Also make sure you make the necessary provision of 1MB extra per raw partition over and above what datafile sizes you are asking for (ie, if you ask for a 625MB undo datafile, make sure the raw partition is 626MB big etc etc).

You're doing this in SQL PLus, I presume. Therefore, make sure you've created symbolic links to the raw partitions, and are referencing the symbolic links in the datafile/log file location clauses, and in the init.ora/spfile's CONTROL_FILES= parameter.

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Sep 24 2003 - 05:34:06 CDT