Re: kernel panic on Red Hat AS because of OCFS

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:29:40 +0200

Dusan Bolek wrote:
> wangbin_at_start.com.au (wangbin) wrote in message news:<2d15bd69.0309222005.5a88aa5e_at_posting.google.com>...
>

>>We use RAC 9.2.0.3 with OCFS 1.0.8 on redhat AS 2.1 with kernel
>>2.4.9-e.16smp in production. It has been running in test environment
>>for 4-6 months with previous version of ocfs and linux kernel.
>>However, now it appears that OCFS start causing kernel panic. We have
>>more than 20 linux boxes, and the kernel panic only happens on the RAC
>>boxes, which OCFS is used. It happens about once or twice per week.
>>I'm a DBA with limited knowledge of SA. Redhat also provides very
>>limit support. I'm not sure what is the next step I can do from here.
>>
>>Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

> This is exactly the reason why (even after reading july/august Oracle
> magazine with all of these penguins inside) I would never suggest
> using Linux on productional box, especially if using RAC is needed.
> I've heard lot of marketing hype (even from Larry himself) about
> inexpensive intel boxes doing big work in RAC configuration, but lack
> of support on OS vendor side is for me a critical nogo issue. I fear
> that only solution for you is to put big pressure on both Oracle and
> Redhat support to solve this issue. However, I think you're in really
> bad situation, even on "proper" OS these border issues are the most
> problematic.
>
> with regards and sorry for not helping
> -
> Dusan Bolek

However, at least according to the 'Managing Oracle on Linux' course, or to be precise according to the instructor of the said course I took last week, Oracle provides Linux support for Red Hat if only you use the precompiled kernel binaries, and out of them the supported ones.

I haven't checked on Metalink (note 225710.1) if 2.4.9-e.16smp is a supported kernel. If it is, I'd be very surprised by the reaction of Oracle support - they are supposed to tell the OP how to create/get the kernel dump and extract the information they asked for themselfes.

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Sep 24 2003 - 02:29:40 CDT