Re: Memory leak

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:18:25 +0300

This is classical Unix memory management FAQ.

A good operating system (unlike DOS for example) will use all available memory, because any unused memory is wasted memory. Memory is used for file system caching for example, it's still better than wasting memory completely by not using it.

You should check paging activity using sar -d and possibly page scan rate using sar -g or vmstat. If these are constantly high, you have a problem. If not, you have no memory shortage. If you ask, what is "high", then you have to do research about it on your own. Generally, when I see few hundred kilobytes of sustained IO activity on swap disks, I don't count it as a real problem. If we are talking several megabytes per sec and high page scan rates, then we are dealing with memory shortage problem.

Tanel.