Re: Poor Oracle performance with Solaris 8 on a Sunfire, talking to a SAN

From: Tanel Poder <change_to_my_first_name_at_integrid.info>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 00:19:33 +0300

Hi!

Well, conventional insert just behaves differently than just dumping a datafile to filesystem. There is redo logging needed for each of your records for example (depending on how you have implemented your inserts) and much much more. Also, your inserting server process will not be responsible of writing the blocks to disk, DBWR does that (unless you are using direct path inserts).

Also, Oracle doesn't parallelize your conventional inserts any way if you are issuing them just from one session, that's why you don't see any CPU usage.

Try to do a insert /*+ APPEND */ into table select * from sys.source$ or something similar to see better "performance" of your disks.

Otherwise I suggest you turning to v$session_wait and v$session_event for help in tuning your insert speeds and parallelize your inserts.

Tanel.