Re: strange select issue

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:46:24 GMT

Tom wrote:

> > Section 9 in the control file is for keeping track of your archived redo
> > logs. First, find out what your CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME parameter
> > is set to. It may be the default of 7. Second, issue the following
> > query:
> >
> > SELECT * FROM v$controlfile_record_section WHERE type='LOG HISTORY';
> >
> > What is the output from above?
>
> SELECT * FROM v$controlfile_record_section WHERE type='LOG HISTORY';
>
> TYPE RECORD_SIZE RECORDS_TOTAL RECORDS_USED FIRST_INDEX LAST_INDEX
> ----------------- ----------- ------------- ------------ ----------- ----------
> LAST_RECID
> ----------
> LOG HISTORY 36 65535 65535 50568 50567
> 572525
>
> > You may have to rebuild the control file to fix this problem. You can
> > try setting CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME to '0'.
>
> where would i find this? in the init.ora file?

Yes, this is in your INIT.ORA. It can also be modified with the ALTER SYSTEM command. If you set it to zero, then you should stop seeing these messages. This is only a temporary, band-aid solution to the problem.

> > You may also be hitting a bug which was fixed in Oracle 8.0.6. What
> > version are you running?
>
> we are seeing this on 8.1.5 so i don't think that bug will apply

It may still be the same bug. Just because 8.1.5 has a "higher" number than 8.0.6, it doesn't mean that it came later. Oracle 8.1.5 had quite a few number of bugs, and many were carried over from previous 8.0.x versions. I'd highly suggest upgrading your database to *at least* 8.1.7.4, if not 9.2.0.4. This is more likely the correct solution to your problem.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com