Re: Is Richard Niemiec Right

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 00:28:07 +1000

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:bkkbn7$21q$1$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk...

Thanks for the example.

> But if this predicate operates first,
> because you happen to swap the
> predicate order in the where clause,
> then a query changes from giving the
> right answer to failing with a conversion
> error.

Ah yes, I see what you mean! IMHO, implicit conversions are more responsible for "weird" performance problems in Oracle than anything else. It's sooooo easy to overlook one...

There should be a setting somewhere to make the parser alert on implicit conversions, like it does with FIPS compatibility and all that jazz. I'd kill for an event or setting that would just print out ALL implicit conversions taking place!

> But as I said, you have to start with
> a bad design.

not unusual, unfortunately...

--