Re: I don't want more choice... I just want nicer things

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman_at_RE-MO-VE.BountifulSolutions.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:27:54 +0000

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 14:44:34 +1000, Howard J. Rogers wrote:

Morning Howard,

Comments inline.

> I mean... here I am, two weeks into a 'I am a Red Hat 9 boy' conversion.
> Religious conviction is high. Fervour is ardourous.
Religion is a bad thing - especially in operating systems and databases :o)

> And then Mandrake 9.1 pops up. It detects wireless cards that RH9 just spits
> at. It looks good. It doesn't complain about my French classical CD
> collection (mmmm... maybe it should've). It works... OK, I'm converted.
> Call me a Mandrake-boy!!

I'm a Madrake boy too then. Running Oracle 920 Enterprise on Mdk 9.1 ...

> But bugger me if Oracle 9.2 won't install on it at all, as I've finally
> persuaded it to do on RH9. So I scour the web, and seek guidance from the
> Linux untouchables... but sod-all is there to be seen.
Hmmm. I have to admit, I installed mine when I was running Mdk 9.0, then upgraded to 9.1 at some point after Oracle had been installed and working. I did an upgrade install from 9.0 to 9.1 rather than a full clean install. Oracle still works for me. (And the main gist of the instructions I followed were yours !)

> I mean: what is it with this operating system? Flavour after flavour, and
> never a straight plumb-line to be relied upon in existence!
Much like windows then :o)

> Then I have to seek psychiatric counselling, because I like gnome, and
> Mandrake prefers KDE. If I go KDE, am I missing out on something? If I go
> gnome, I *know* I'm missing out on something. Call me paranoid, but I know
> whatever side I'm on, the other side are watching.
Missing out of the 'you're not paranoid, they are out to get you' joke, just install Gnome and KDE then pick whichever one you want at login time. Next time you login, you get the same option as your default. I tend to be KDE myself but each to their own.

> Do I go mozilla,
> konqueror, opera, galeon, or what? Stuff me if I can't actually install
> Crossover Office and have, cough, Internet Explorer! But that's clearly a
> sin, and I seek forgiveness, Father. Oh for the days of 'thou shalt have IE
> and have done with it, or we'll break your operating system!'. At least you
> knew where you came in relation to God and Bill. Thou shalt have no other
> choices but Me. OK... slightly Leninistic, but at least one knew where you
> stood, even if it was only at the foot of Mount Sinaii.
Opera with Konqueror for 'local' stuff works for me. I can have the Opera Mail thingy set up to contact my Demon account and show me what mails are waiting - but not to delete them because my wife needs them over on 'the dark side' in Windows. Nice.

Then, if I wanted, I could use the NEwsgroups thingy in Opera to read these groups. (But I don't !)

> Do I use pan, knode, mozilla news, or what?
Knode is fine if you only have one news server to connect to. I have three or four so I use Pan as it allows me to select which server I an going to connect to next. Setting up servers is easy under TOOLS | NEWS SERVERS but make sure you set the CONNECTION LIMIT to 4 (the max) or it doesn't seem to want to download the headers.

> I don't want choices!!!!!!!!! I just want an application that will do what I
> want when I want it, and looking pretty sexy whilst it's doing it. And
> running Oracle would be nice, too. And I don't want to have to choose! I
> just want nice things. (And a workable replacement for Frontpage would be
> nice: I have a new website to construct, after all!).
Quanta - if you like getting deep into HTML that is. That's what I do.

<SLIGHT SNIP>

> Can someone please advise me: what distro, and what apps? Because I'm fed up
> making the choices for myself.

Mdk 9.1 (or 9.0->9.1), Opera, KDE, Pan, Oracle 9i Release 2 EE - what more do you want, apart from Borland Kylix Open Edition (or KDevelop - one of the best reasons for using KDE).

Cheers,
Norm.

PS. Buggering off to France for a week. Booked the holiday ages ago before I was made redundant. Still going on the grounds that actually going will be cheaper than losing everything we've paid by cancelling. Leaving at very very early tomorrow :o(

--
Delete the obvious bit from my email address to reply by email.