Re: I'm being subjected to a DOS attack...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 19:48:35 +1000

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:3f6bd495$0$6526$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> I've had a few before now, but nothing like this sustained onslaught.

It's a new worm. Don't cancel your yahoo account, it is NOT the cause or root of the problem and you have NOT been infected. Yahoo is being silly in not stopping this one dead in its tracks.

It is one of the worst attacks I've ever seen. It appears to be targeting particularly external e-mail providers. They obviously mined a few thousand addresses from the busiest Usenet newsgroups and used those to start spreading. After the first few generations, the darn thing just feeds on itself.

The entire ISP community is directly responsible for this one,IMO. They have been warned adnauseum by prior attacks in the last year that they MUST tighten up how e-mail addresses are given, how they respond to fake e-mails, and how they MUST implement sender verification. The old story of "closing down re-mailers being an attack on freedom" just doesn't glue: these guys are irresponsible enough to act as vehicles for these stupid attacks, they should and MUST be closed down!

Maybe this time it will do enough damage for these idiots to implement some serious security. Instead of allowing every clown and his cat to get fake id's in yahoo, google, aol and so on and use them to attack everyone else.

The amount of time I've lost in the last 2 days trying to filter and clear my yahoo address is not being paid by anyone. And the jokers insist on keeping my trash folder for a week unless I specifically clear it. What a bunch of idiots!

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto