Re: Standby Database and Oracle Standard Edition 9i

From: pdv_sky <fa559088_maps_on_at_skynet.be>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 21:21:30 +0200

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:3f6abe5b$0$28120$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
>

> > Disadvantages:
> > It relies on your scripts being correct and understood.
> > It relies on you detecting nologging events, breaks in communication
etc.
> > People don't seem to realize it can be done - even Oracle Support when I
> > first enquired about how supported it was said I needed EE.
> > No GUI :(
> >
> > Advantages:
> > Can introduce a time delay easily between Main site and Stdby - for
those
> > DBA introduced disasters:(
> > 20-30K a processor. :(
> > No GUI :)
>
> Surely that last line should read "No GUI :-)".
>
> A converted Linux fan
> HJR

After using both (scripts and DataGuard), I agree with HJR : NO GUI :-)) LOL (Its late...)

Serious Tips :

It is the gui-kiddies that put the system at risk (no disrespect intended).

Should you go 92xEE: read the dg-manuals (versions Oct-02, not May-02, and metalink note 180031.1 when you set it up 1st time. Then tinker with it. Physical stdby is fine, logical-stdby a bit too complex+buggy for my liking, but have not tinkered with logic-stdby yet)

Luck!

PdV
Oracle DBA - and Certified
gui-hater ;-) Received on Fri Sep 19 2003 - 14:21:30 CDT