Re: null event causing concern

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 16:58:05 +0100

Your status is 'waited short time' so in theory the wait reported is the last thing you waited for, and you are now using CPU.

The "null event" is a bug, and there are various patches through 9.2.0.3 and 9.2.0.4 to get rid of all occurrences of null event - but there are many cases in early 9's and some 8's where the event is set to the 'null event' as the real event ends.

You example looks like you did a single block read about 26 seconds ago, and have been burning CPU ever since.

The value 301 (given your comments) is
likely to indicate a temporary file. The P1 for the "db file single blocks read" events is file number + value of db_files parameter when the file is a tempfile.

I would guess that your db_files parameter is therefore 300.

Of course, I could be wrong - after all, the last actual wait might not have been a file read at all - but I can't think of any other event at the moment which would leave
your p1,p2,p3 looking the way they do.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Finland__September 22nd - 24th
____Norway___September 25th - 26th