Re: null event causing concern

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 08:19:32 -0700

John Ashton wrote:

>We seem to have a pl/sql procedure that can occionally take a very
>long time to complete (> 13 hours). It is a big task but it would
>normally complete within 2 hours.
>
>As I'm not a DBA and I have limited rights so I have only been able
>get a partial view into what is happening (yes I have asked the
>support company X's DBA to investigate but there are political reasons
>why I feel I need to look at this too).
>
>The only thing I can see that bothers me is the following from
>v$session_wait for the PL/SQL procedure session:
>
>EVENT P1 P2 P3 TIME SECONDS_IN_WAIT STATE
>null event 301 87541 1 -1 26 WAITED KNOWN TIME
>
>Every time I see this null event, P1 is either 301 or 150 but I don't
>know what this parameter refers to. I thought maybe it was file# but
>there are no files above 160.
>
>Can anyone tell me what this event might be?
>
>Thanks

I can't tell you whether the above has any relationship to your problem but I can tell you that you should
get a copy of Tom Kyte's book "Expert one-on-one Oracle" or go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and learn
how to use DBMS_PROFILER. It will point you to where the problem is ... though not the underlying cause.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu