Re: A couple of tablespace questions for the experts

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 14:08:20 +0100

"Paul Dixon" <root_at_127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:bketj0$9p3$1_at_visp.bt.co.uk...
> I am planning the design of a new database to host an existing decision
> support sytem, and am trying to decide :-
>
> 1] Whether to use Automatic Segment Space Management for tablespaces or to
> use Uniform Extent sizes (as in Howard Rogers tablespace fragmentation
> document) and manually manage the Freelists / Freelist Groups.

ASSM is an alternative to Freelists, Uniform Extent allocation is an alternative to Automatic extent sizing. So you can use ASSM with either uniform or automatically sized segments in a tablespace.

> 2] Whether there are any siginficant implications from using a small
number
> of large datafiles for a tablespace instead of a larger number of smaller
> (i.e. 2 GByte) datafiles.

A datafile is the smallest unit of backup so very large datafiles imply larger parts of the database being backed up at once.

A datafile is a file so the db files parameter needs to be sized appropriately.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA