Re: Full Export / Import headache

From: Burt Peltier <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:17:53 -0500

I would also prefer doing the migration using exp/imp, assuming you have the space for a 2nd copy of the database and the size is not so large that it would run for days.

Are you doing a full=y on the export ?

I am guessing you are doing 1 schema at a time. I would NOT do your migration this way, if at all possible . Or, are you doing it this way because of the size and time required to run the exp/imp? If your database is so large (or so old) that it takes too long to do the whole database at one time, then well... good luck.
Constraints are just 1 possible problem you will most likely hit. Other potential problems are views on another schema's tables/views, grants to schemas not yet imported, plsql on other schema tables, etc ...

I would recommend just doing a full=y and the import will do the constraints after the data and you could not possibly hit that error. Watch out for database links - they can cause problems for stored plsql or views if the other database is down while you are running the full import. Also, watch out for any grants you may have done from the SYS account. This will need to be redone and if plsql/views depend on the privs, then they will need to be recompiled.

Note: Full=y does get/export the SYSTEM schema and does not export the SYS schema (or any grants from SYS - or the 8i "internal" connection).

There is almost always something a full imp will reject , but this is less problems than doing 1 schema at a time.

FYI ... from the Oracle Utility docs ...

Table objects are imported as they are read from the export file. The export file contains objects in the following order: Type definitions
Table definitions
Table data
Table indexes
Integrity constraints, views, procedures, and triggers Bitmap, functional, and domain indexes