Re: 9i Standby Database & Production Online Redo

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Sep 2003 17:23:33 -0700

tomk_at_projectx.com.au (Tom K) wrote in message news:<b6b81b29.0309162032.7df0dfd5_at_posting.google.com>...
> I have a quick question on Physical Standby Databases (the 9i
> version). I have configured a physical standby database (STDBY) in
> Maximum Performance mode. All the archive logs are being transported
> from production (PROD) to STDBY.
>
> In the event of a catastrophic failure on PROD, given that I can save
> the online redo logs from PROD, and I copy them to the STDBY node, how
> can I "feed" then into STDBY?
>
> I have tried to register the redo by renaming them to arc_985.log, but
> this has not worked.
>
> Any ideas? Has anyone been able to do this?
>
> Cheers
> Tom K

Tom,

this is referred to as a "graceful switchover", but you'll also need the primary's controlfile to apply the (was current) online redo log.

Lawrence To wrote a paper on it for Oracle 7.3.

There have been many other papers on it since.

I haven't read very far into the 9.2 functionality for this, as our 8.1.7 scripted manual standby works fine with 9.2, haven't had much incentive to go with the oracle product as we don't have enterprise edition.

Paul Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 19:23:33 CDT