Re: Tom kyte's New book

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 22:55:22 +0100

"Thomas T" <T_at_T> wrote in message news:3f60e418_at_rutgers.edu...
> "Stan" <stan0074_at_comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Tom kyte's new book 'Effective Oracle by Design' is finally out. i just
> > got my copy today. Though some topics reminds me of his previous book
> > but there is lots of 9i stuffs from an administration standpoint.
> >
> > back to reading :)
> > -Stan
> >

> Thanks for the information! Is "Expert One-on-One Oracle" still a current
> book (for 8i)? After recently finding out that there's a million Oracle
> tuning myths out there, I'd like to get a book that will actually help me.
> I'll buy both of these guys if that's the best bet. Does the 1-on-1 book
> cover 9i, also?
>
> Is Oracle Performance Tuning 101 worth anything? It seems as if the book
> was written to argue against the myths, but I'd like a second opinion.

Perf Tuning 101 was the book I recommended for some considerable time, until someone on this list (Brain P maybe) pointed out Christopher Lawson's "The art and science of Oracle Performance Tuning" which IMO is even better. You can do a lot lot worse than the 101 book though - these guys know Oracle.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA