Re: Analyze Command and Privileges

From: <Kenneth>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 19:35:39 GMT

On 18 Sep 2003 11:56:36 -0700, james.stewart2_at_ccra-adrc.gc.ca (JimS) wrote:

>Hi all,
>
> I need some info from the Oracle gods. I want to implement the
>Analyze table command in a job stream that will be run from an
>automated process not belonging to the DB group.
>
>Question 1 - If I give the "Automated" user id access to the "ANALYZE
>ANY" command, do they have any other privileges that can screw up the
>database.
>
>Question 2 - If the ANALYZE command aborts during execution, can it
>create major damage to the database.
>

>Thanks,
>
>Jim

Hi Jim,

Q1 : "ANALYZE ANY" is a single system privilege, not a role, and as such it does not involve any other system privileges. But "ANALYZE ANY" could screw things up, if the user uses it for analyzing the data dictionary !

Q2 : No, Oracle will recover automatically. The only "damage" would be missing or outdated statistics.