Re: Frequent Checkpointing ...

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:47:54 +0200

On 18 Sep 2003 08:34:26 -0700, domenicg_at_hotmail.com (Domenic G.) wrote:

>I was just reading the INDEX/TABLE separation thread -- how about the
>checkpoint myth? From my experience, it is better to checkpoint
>frequently and keep those disks busy at an even rate vs. delaying
>checkpoints for 20 minutes and then all of a sudden you've got a
>workload surge to disk. To me that never made sense. Checkpoint
>frequently, every few minutes -- keep the checkpoint workload even and
>steady.
>
>Domenic.

You should differentiate between automatic checkpoints, and system induced checkpoints. You are discussing system induced checkpoints. In a normal environment, a system induced checkpoint won't have to deal with a workload surge to disk. If you, however, induce checkpoints every 5 minutes, or have a log file switch every 5 minutes which will force a checkpoint, performance will noticeably suffer. As far as I am concerned frequent system induced checkpoints don't make sense and are to be avoided at all cost

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Sep 18 2003 - 11:47:54 CDT