Re: Linux filesystems & oracle performance

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 14:49:23 GMT

I'm assuming that Nuno was talking about the Linux Maximus paper.

Nuno,

That is good information to note as we are preparing down the road to Oracle on Linux. I bet you are right that the paper just used the default block sizes. It would be very easy for the author to set both file systems to use the same block size and repeat the benchmarks.

HTH,
Brian

Tanel Poder wrote:

> Nuno,
>
> which Quest paper are you talking about? The Linux Maximum one?
>
> Tanel.
>
> > As such I have to conclude the metrics were taken with the default
> > block size of each f/s. Which means ext3 will be doing roughly
> > half the number of I/O requests of ext2 for the same type and volume
> > of db operation. That certainly seems to be the case of the TPC
> > numbers in the Quest paper.

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"