Re: case-insensitive foreign key

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 23:15:47 +1000

"Branko Milosavljevic" <mbranko_at_uns.ns.ac.yu> wrote in message news:19b4eb25.0309180450.4374f78f_at_posting.google.com...

> I have read about function-based indexes (such as ...UPPER(ename)) and
> case-insensitive searches, but can they be used for referential
> integrity constraint checking? Is there any other way to accomplish
> this?

I'm not sure I follow the reasoning behind using case insensitive foreign keys... FKs are NOT implemented in Oracle via indexes, they are an optimization that MAY be used. FKs are declarative. Use surrogate keys to implement RI, not string columns!

FBIs can be used for normal indexing and for uniqueness constraint checking.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto