Re: Upgrading a Windows 2000 server box with Oracle 8i to Windows 2003 Server with 9i

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2003 16:34:29 -0700

"Nick Palmer" <nick_at_kcicorp.com> wrote in message news:<vmgtlgtkhi1l2c_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> Been doing more research, and I found this ...
>
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/B10924_01/toc.htm
>
> Which says to perform the database upgrade first, and then upgrade to
> Windows 2003 server.
>
> So I've decided that I'm going to try this on a test box with the following
> steps.
>
> 1. Setup Windows 2000
> 2. Install 8i and create two databases (on my other system I've got five,
> but two should test upgrading more than one)
> 3. Upgrade to 9.2.0.1.0 + 2.2.0.18.0 + 9.2.0.4.0, upgrading the databases
> along the way. (I'm going to try this route, to see how it works. Its a
> test system so who cares)
> 4. Upgrade to Windows 2003 and see what happens.
>
> I should probably shut down all the Oracle services when I start the Windows
> 2003 server upgrade. Maybe even set the services to Manual startup.
>
> Nick.

Nick,

nice find on the link.
I'd still like to state that - if you are using exp/imp into a new 9.2 database, that you can upgrade the OS to W2K3, install the 9.2 server + 2.2.0.18.0 oui and 9.2.0.4 patchsets, prior to creating your new databases, as there would be no databases to migrate. (This assumes that you have wiped all oracle software from the box, and will only have one oracle home).
(oui 2.2.0.18.0 is included in the 9.2.0.4 patchset).

Are you sure that you want to migrate dictionary managed tablespaces to locally managed tablespaces (e.g. SYSTEM) - which you would be doing if you migrate your existing databases. I have not compared the difference between a cleanly created LMT system tablespace, and a dictionary managed tablespace that was migrated to LMT. The databases that I have been working with are relatively small (under 2 GB of data) so exp/imp has been a good route.
Import of 1.6 GB of dump files took less than 1 hour (build indexes nologging afterwards) on decent hardware (PIII 900 MHz, not the latest greatest 3 GHz Xeons).

So I guess it comes down to whether you are going to upgrade (keep the existing databases) or migrate (into new 9.2 native databases).

setting the services to manual is an excellent idea. you can remove the OraHome81 services before the upgrade, as you won't need them, or set them to manual and remove them after everything else is completed.

Paul Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 18:34:29 CDT