Re: INDEX and DATA Tablespaces.....

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 09:18:37 +1000

Andras Kovacs wrote:

> If you have write performance issues having two separate tablespaces
> is better. Typical case: If you want to rebuild your index having 2
> separate table spaces is much better.

Even better is not rebuilding indexes at all.

Or, rather, extremely rarely.

And I suspect your locking issues are going to be more of a concern if you're doing it at the same time as DML is going on than any I/O contention. Even on online rebuild requires and takes exclusive locks on the table, or hangs whilst it tries to.

And if you have 'write performance issues' then having two separate tablespaces is not a good idea: find out what's causing the write performance issue, and deal with it.

The simplistic suggestion for two separate tablespaces is just that: simplistic.

Regards
HJR