Re: Tunning question

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:18:11 +0100

An oddity here is that your logical I/O count is in the tens of thousands (from your earlier post), but the optimizer is indicating 1M rows as the output from the second table access. The two numbers could only be consistent if you have a VERY large number for 'buffer is pinned count' when the query runs. This statistic is not reported by autotrace, but is a measure of visits to buffers. Rerun the queries but take a snapshot of the session's v$mystat values before and after each run.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Finland__September 22nd - 24th
____Norway___September 25th - 26th
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference)

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____USA__October
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Adon Keber" <adon_at_cool.iskon.local> wrote in message

> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:08:25 +0300, Tanel Poder wrote:
> >Btw, is your query running parallel or serial?
>
> My first thought, but query is running in serial.
>
> And here are execution plans:
>
> Slower:
>
> Operation Object Name Rows
Bytes Cost

> SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer Mode=ALL_ROWS 22
446
> SORT ORDER BY 22 1 K
446
> FILTER
> NESTED LOOPS 22 1 K
431
1
1
> TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID PASTCONN 1 M 91 M
430
3

> Faster:
>
> Operation Object Name Rows
Bytes Cost

> SELECT STATEMENT Optimizer Mode=ALL_ROWS 22
31845
> FILTER
> NESTED LOOPS 22 1 K
31845
> TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID USERS 1 14
1
> INDEX UNIQUE SCAN USR_UK 1
1
> TABLE ACCESS BY INDEX ROWID PASTCONN 1 M 91 M
31844
> INDEX RANGE SCAN PCONN_CEND_I 1 M
3355
3