Re: Full Table Scan....?

From: Turkbear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:51:04 -0500

hari_om_at_hotmail.com (Hari Om) wrote:

>what do you mean when one says "FULL Table Scans...."...? what are it
>other alternatives to full table scan.....?
>
>what does it exactly means....I saw that a lot in the postings
>relating to "Seperating Data and INDEX on different disk"
>
>THANKS!
2 separate things:

Full Table Scan means that the entire table is searched looking for the requested records specified by the WHERE clause. ( Others methods can be By Index Range Scan, By INDEX(Unique), etc) - look at the docs ( especially the performance related ones and the explanations on index usage).

The discussion on where to place the data and/or index tablespaces is an ongoing one about the efficiency gains ( if any) from having the data on one disk(s) and its index on another... Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 12:51:04 CDT