Re: INDEX and DATA Tablespaces.....

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:01:56 +0100

"Goran" <goran99_makni_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bk9pgb$oh0$1_at_fegnews.vip.hr...

> > > Separate them. That's the first thing that any I/O Performance tuning
> > > course teaches you. This should help you, too:
> > >
> http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/html/A97297_01/appg_ofa.htm#sthref787
> > >

> > And one of the first things any *good* I/O Performance tuning course
> should
> > teach you is that that particular piece of advice is total nonsense.
> >
> > HJR
>

> With all due respect, how can two (whatever) datafiles on the same disk
give
> *the same* (or even better) performance as the same two on separate disks?

I'm one of those who doesn't especially care for the separate data/index rule. It doesn't mean that you shouldn't use all the spindles you have available, just that the way you chose to separate objects ought to be on the basis of (one or more of)

  1. Size
  2. Function
  3. Owner

in other words mostly I'd do it for maintenance ease to start with and then if I got an IO contention issue deal with the actual issue rather than an arbitrary rule. I'd be prepared to bet that in a high-volume version of the scott schema EMP and DEPT (or indexes on them) would contend since they seem to be the focus of attention in that app.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA