RAID 5 on Oracle....?

From: Hari Om <hari_om_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 17 Sep 2003 07:13:04 -0700

I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1 on IBM AIX 5.1L System.

Our box has 8 hard disk hdisk0-hdisk7 with hdisk0 and hdisk1 mirrored and having SYSTEM BOS (Base Operating System).

We are implementing RADID 5 on the remaining hard disk hdisk2-hdisk7 (each being 36 GB). Now if I implement RAID 5 on these disk.....to system it would just be ONE SINGLE LOGICAL DISK. If that is the case then how can I seperate different Tablespaces on different disk.... e.g.SYSTEM Tablespace should "not" be in same disk e.g:Redo Log files "should" have a copy on different disk.....

Now if OS treats the RAID as a "SINGLE BIG LOGICAL DISK" then how can I seperate the above.....?

What if I implement three RAID 5 (each of 2 disk)....just a thought....

My other school of thought says to use above RAID 5 of 6 hdisk and put Redo log files on hdisk0-hdisk1 (becos these are "not" in my RAID)....but would there be any issues on this.

Any related informatino on this is appreciated....

HARI OM Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 09:13:04 CDT