Re: Physical Layout of disk to use Oracle

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 13:19:29 GMT

> Well yes and no. Should we all in an idealized world be tuning every
> last SQL statement and monitoring I/O on every physical drive. You
> betcha. But in the real world ... if SAME is good enough then where is
> the benefit to the organization to pay some
> DBA to get into all that unnecessary effort.

I think that is part of the point, so we probably don't have any disagreement. If SAME works, and it is easy, then by all means use it. But at the same time (no pun intended), one has to realize what SAME is, what it does, and what its pros and *cons* are. Implementing SAME and just assuming that all of your I/O bottlenecks are tuned is doing a disservice. It is not a magic bullet, which is the impression I got when reading the paper when it first came out. (My impression may have been wrong). SAME definitely has merit but it is not the end-all-be-all.

> I go toward SAME and raw devices unless and until testing proves it
> insufficient. Then ... it is still cheaper to buy more disk than to
> tune. How many hours of tuning equate to one more high speed disk?
> With the current price of disk ... not very many.

So am I understanding you correctly that you would just purchase high speed disk to speed up your I/O bottlenecks? Is that the methodology that you use? I'd prefer to tune that SQL statement that is causing excessive physical (and logical) reads than to throw more money at hardware. Tuning an SQL statement only costs my time, which the company is paying for anyway. Throwing another high speed disk (oh..and don't forget that you might also need a new controller since another disk could overburden an already busy controller) costs $$$, not to mention my time to get Oracle files moved over there.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com