Re: INDEX and DATA Tablespaces.....

From: Anna C. Dent <anacedent_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:42:14 -0700

Hari Om wrote:
> I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1 on IBM AIX 5.1L system.
>
> When designing DB and its physical layout.....do I need to SEPERATE

Need to?
A definite NO!

> INDEX TABLESPACE from its DATA TABLESPACE.....Oracle DBA Book by Loney
> says to better seperate these 2 Tablespaces....but some of the folks
> here in the google say it should be on SAME DISK.....kindly
> confirm......Any related links are appreciated.

One of the performance goals should be to eliminate (reduce) hotspots on disks; where one physical spinlde is getting hammered to death while another spindle only rarely gets and I/O requests. On the other side of the same coin is the goal to maximize I/O throughput.

Anything that moves you towards one of those two goals is a Good Thing(TM).

HTH & YMMV Received on Tue Sep 16 2003 - 18:42:14 CDT