Re: Upgrading a Windows 2000 server box with Oracle 8i to Windows 2003 Server with 9i

From: Andy Finkenstadt <kahuna_at_panix.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 01:05:46 +0000 (UTC)

In <vmcjtc97v17f3c_at_corp.supernews.com> "Nick Palmer" <nick_at_kcicorp.com> writes:
>9i for Windows 2003 server, I need to install the first version of 9i. Then
>install a patch to the Installer, then install the latest Patched version of
>9i (9.2.0.3 I believe).

Correct. Although I think it's up to 9.2.0.4 now.

>I think I have two ways of doing this. First, I could do complete backups
>of all my instances, then shutdown Oracle on this box and run the Windows
>2003 server upgrade. After upgrading, I would do the 9i install/patch
>routine until I was at the correct version, then rebuild the instances and
>do imports.

nooooooooooooo.

>The other way I could do this is to apply the Upgrade to 9i and
>its patches to get to the correct version of 9i, and then upgrade to Windows
>2003 server.

Maybe. The risk to run is that the installer installs system-specific files based on the currently running OS.

>Has anybody out there done any of this ? I'd like to avoid have to go the
>export/rebuild/import route if I have to, but if thats the safest way, thats
>what I can do.

My thought is, on your standby/backup computer, split the standby nature (or copy the instances appropriately), and then attempt the Oracle then OS upgrade while your production databasii continue running. if all works well, then upgrade your production database similarly, re-standby your databases, and go forward.

Or consult Oracle support and let them know you are doing a critical database upgrade and want an open critical TAR in soft-close so that you can gain access to the support group in case of trouble.

Andy

--
Andrew Finkenstadt (http://www.finkenstadt.com/andy/)