Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2003 17:30:54 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063413461.186554_at_yasure>...
> Alan wrote:
>
> >I haven't run any tests to prove this, but I was told by Someone Who Should
> >Know (a certfied Oracle Instructor) that CBO can't optimize a query any
> >better than a _properly_ optimized RBO query.
> >
> ><snipped>
> >

> I am amazed you believed what you were told as the statement is patently
> false on its face.

It's not false, because:

> The RBO is worthless for any feature that is new to 8i or 9i.

it therefore implies no use of the new features! :-)

> How does RBO handle a partitioned table?
> How does RBO handle an IOT?
> How does RBO handle a nested table?
> How does RBO handle .... and on and on and on.
>
> So unless you plan on writing version 7 code for the rest of your life
> ... how can you possibly use the RBO?

That's all very nice, but doesn't address the issue of having to change vetted and implemented code. The implication there is "how do we know other things down the road won't do this to us again?" As (or well, maybe, _if_ :-) the software industry matures, this upgrade cycle expense will be more obvious.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/uniontrib/mon/business/news_mz1b15fivequ.html