Upgrading a Windows 2000 server box with Oracle 8i to Windows 2003 Server with 9i

From: Nick Palmer <nick_at_kcicorp.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:48:26 -0700

Hi all,

Ok, here is what I've got. I've got a Windows 2000 server box with Oracle 8i running on it. I've got 5 instances on this box. I need to upgrade this box to Windows 2003 server. My understanding is that 8i doesn't work with 2003 server, but that 9.2 does. So my question is how upgrade Oracle 8i. I've never done an upgrade of Oracle on a Windows box, or on a box with several instances, so I'm not sure whats involved. Is the Upgrade process pretty straight forward. It appears that to get to the correct version of 9i for Windows 2003 server, I need to install the first version of 9i. Then install a patch to the Installer, then install the latest Patched version of 9i (9.2.0.3 I believe).

I think I have two ways of doing this. First, I could do complete backups of all my instances, then shutdown Oracle on this box and run the Windows 2003 server upgrade. After upgrading, I would do the 9i install/patch routine until I was at the correct version, then rebuild the instances and do imports. The other way I could do this is to apply the Upgrade to 9i and its patches to get to the correct version of 9i, and then upgrade to Windows 2003 server.

Has anybody out there done any of this ? I'd like to avoid have to go the export/rebuild/import route if I have to, but if thats the safest way, thats what I can do.

Thanks in advance,
Nick. Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 18:48:26 CDT