Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Hulse <hulse_kevin_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Sep 2003 10:41:31 -0700

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1063586219.475206_at_yasure>...
> Domenic G. wrote:
>
> >Excuse me Mr. Oracle Instructor ...
> >
> >Spatial is garbage, you can't even export/import a schema with
> >sdo_geometry columns in it without getting a bucket full of errors.
> >I'm waiting for Oracle to remove RAW, LONG RAW, etc. from their own
> >system tablespace before they tell everyone else to move to BLOB and
> >CLOB. Oracle is hypocritical -- they don't practice what they
> >preach!! Do a desc on DBA_TRIGGERS and see if the trigger code is
> >stored in a CLOB. "Oracle Corporation strongly recommends moving to
> >CLOBs ... ".
> >
> >What I would really like them to do is put in a command to clone a
> >schema without doing export/import -- give me something useful instead
> >of reverse-key indexes on sequence-driven columns, whose performance
> >gain is like a drop in the ocean!!
> >
> >Domenic.
> >
> ><snipped>
> >
> Remind me to never suggest that a addict to tell you about the dangers
> of shooting heroin.
>
> I have not once, in more than 14 years working with Oracle, ever cloned
> a schema by export/import.
> Foolish me using CASE tools like Designer and ERwin. Perhaps I should

    Something simple like cloning a schema shouldn't require expensive or overly complicated CASE tools. What you're advocating is the use of tactical nukes to get rid of the ants in your kitchen. No one should have to put up with Designer or be forced to pay for a reasonably good tool (like Erwin) just to do something simple in a robust manner.

[deletia] Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 12:41:31 CDT