Re: Tom Kyte a false idol?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:00:50 GMT

> Some folks feel that "Tom Kyte" is just another Oracle marketing tool,
> and no more real than Santa Claus.

I met him once before at a conference. No red suit or black boots. He was shorter than I thought he would be though.....

I did some technical editing on his Expert One-on-one Oracle book. We even had a disagreement about one of his chapters. We talked about this briefly when I met him at the conference. This discussion occurred shortly before his book was going to press, but after *most* of the book was written, and Wrox Press had him there at the IOUG conference in Orlando. He wasn't arrogant or rude with me. In fact, after that conference, when I got my official copy of the book, I found that some of the points that I had, where we were in disagreement, actually made it into the book. I didn't write anything for the book, so I didn't get any credit, nor did I deserve any credit. My function was to read what was written and make comments on it from a technical standpoint. Was the information correct? Did the example code work as written? Was there a better technical solution to the problem being discussed? At no point during any of our discourse in him writing the book and my technical editing of the book, and at no point during our discussions face to face, did I find him to be rude or arrogant.

Finally, I admit that I don't know Tom Kyte that well. And I'd be surprised if he remembered me that much since our interactions were brief. But my experience with him has been different than the ones that you describe.

Cheers,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com