Re: Performance base line

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:52:29 +0200

"Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>I think you forgot statspack :(

OK, statspack!

I was just reading the Oracle documentation about v$ Performance Views. It is impressive. It is overwhelming. I ended up confused. I am afraid these views are an oversized answer to the question, how fast a DB is running. One can find many answers there, I at times don't see the corresponding questions. One exception is the v$system_event view, from which - as far as I understood - it is possible to see your "mileage". What I miss in most of the performance views are the actual execution times. And I have lot of difficulties trying to undestand the Oracle terminology (consistent gets, pins, latches, multiblock-reads, etc.) and how wait events should be interpreted.

But I will give statspack a go.

Thanks
Rick Denoire

(who desperate needs that Performance Tuning training) Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 10:52:29 CDT