Re: DB Server and Application server on Same Hardware

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 15:40:23 GMT

You can run both the Oracle database and iAS on the same server. You need to install the software in different ORACLE_HOME directories though. Keep in mind that both pieces of software can be extremely resource hungry (CPU, memory, disk). So you'll have to keep an eye on your resources to make sure that you have enough. This is why the recommendation is to use seperate machines.

Personally, I'd stick with two servers to make two tiers in your architecture. But it is possible to use only one machine.

HTH,
Brian

chan01 wrote:

> first of all thank you very much for you information. i know what you
> were saying, i already explained our manger and programmer but you
> know there understanding is different this what they are thinking, if
> you would keep both servers on same hardware it will be much faster.
> but as per my understaning they have to change there archicture to
> achive that. That is why i asked you
> guys can i get any articals, so that i can throw them on there fase.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<n484mv442a9cec5nb3m6l1pfcaapu6eohg_at_4ax.com>...
> > On 12 Sep 2003 12:22:59 -0700, chandra_2000_us_at_yahoo.com (chan01)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I would like to know why Database server and Application server should
> > >not install on same hardware. I would be appricate if you can show me
> > >some articals.
> > >
> > >Thanks.
> >

> > The articles are the whitepapers up on http://otn.oracle.com.
> > Oracle advises expressly against doing it.
> >
> > The rationale behind it is very easy to understand: both database
> > server and application server are very resource hungry.
> > They will be simply competing for resources on one server. If that is
> > what you want, why don't you try it out?
> >

> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
> >
> > To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com

 the three"