Re: Physical Layout of disk to use Oracle

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:12:05 -0700

Hari Om wrote:

>I am using Oracle 9.2.0.1 on IBM AIX 5.1L box.
>My box has 8 different hard disk hdisk0-hdisk7.
>
>hdisk0 + hdisk1 are mirrored and house System ROOT BOS.
>That leaves me to 6 hard disk hdisk2-hdisk7.
>hdisk0 and hdisk1 both are 18GB each
>hdisk2-hdisk7 are each 36GB
>
>I was wondering what would be the best way to utilize these disk taking into
>consideration following points:
>1) Contention Problems i.e.: 2 different process using the same disk and one
> has to wait.
>2) Speed - without having any process having to wait a longer.
>
>I have read Kevin Loneys' ORACLE DBA Handbook and read a chapter on Physical
>Database Layouts. Here is what I get....correct me if I am wrong.
>
>hdisk2 --> Oracle Appplication Software
>hdisk3 --> SYSTEM Tablespaces(for all instances) + Control File 1
>hdisk4 --> ROLLBACK Tablespace + Redo Log files + Control File 2
>hdisk5 --> DATA Tablespace + Control File 3
>hdisk6 --> INDEX Tablespace + TEMP Tablespace
>hdisk7 --> ARCHIVE Redo Log destination disk.
>
>Can anyone point out if there would be any issues in the above Layout.
>Please feel free to be as critical as possible....after all I learn
>from my mistakes only.
>

>THANKS!

And how much space do you need to host your database?

My instinct would be to put Oracle on hdisk0, hold aside disks 6 and 7 for log files ( I know it is a huge waste but it is best for performance) stripe and mirror everything else and use raw partitions. But once again I have no idea how much space you really need for tables and indexes but disk is cheap and you could easily buy some more DASD.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu