ORACLE requirement to implement automatic standby DB

From: Charly <SomeOne_at_SomeWhere.on.the.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 16:28:55 +0200

Dear all,

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. I searched this newsgroup but did not find anything straigthforward...

I'm using Oracle 8i (8.1.5) Standard Edition on Windows 2000 for a CIS / billing system. The size of the DB is about 50Gb.

I'm planning to implement an automatic standby database as described here :
http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/99-May/index.html?39or8i.html

Can anyone tell me what are the licensng requirement from the Oracle :
- is it possible to have it with STANDARD Edition only even in automatic
mode ?
- Do we have some extra license to pay for the standby feature (except
of course the server licence itself, I already got that one...) ?

In fact I already tried to implement it on a test environmeent (two test machines) but when I tried to startup the standby database I had the message :

SQL> startup pfile=c:\oracle\admin\<MyDB>\pfile\init.ora nomount ORA-00439: feature not enabled: Managed Standby

How can I enable the feature ?

Thanks for your help,

Charly

--
Email : calebrun-No-Spam-I-Said!-_at_-yahoo.com