Simple Upgrade questions

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 12:08:26 +0200

Planing to upgrade from 8.1.7.0.0 to 9.2.x.x on Solaris 7, I have already read a couple of documents. In the "manual" procedure, one has to start some scripts as the crucial steps. But I found no information about the elementary question: where is the material source of these scripts? Do I need the standard CDROMs containing the plain "standard" installation software of the Version I am about to upgrade to or do I need a special Upgrade distribution kit? I would rather prefer to use the "Upgrade Assistant" instead of doing things manually, since it should be less prone to human errors, but the same question arises again: From where should I start this Upgrade Assistant? What kind of source media do I need?

I suppose that an upgrade, no matter how it is done, does not render the software in the last patch level. Am I right that after the upgrade the appropriate Patch Level should be applied? (In this case, I know that a special Patch file should be downloaded or otherwise supplied.

And one more question: the manual upgrade procedure involves creating a new Oracle environment with different paths etc. That means that in this case, after the Upgrade, two software versions (the old and the new one) are present in the system. Right? As far as I understood, the Upgrade through the "Upgrade Assistant" *replaces* the old binaries along with transforming the DB files to the new version, so in this case onle one version, the new one, is kept in the system.

OK, to many questions for now. Just some pointers to suitable overview documents on the Internet about upgrading Oracle will do. I don't need details for now, just a general description of the procedure, perhaps asserting risks, pros and contras.

One of my concerns will be the amount of space needed on harddisk for the new binaries. Holding two versions could turn out to be a problem. Can I know the amount of space needed beforehand?

I will rather stop here.

Thanks-in-case-you-answer-and-otherwise-too-for-reading.

Rick Denorie Received on Mon Sep 15 2003 - 05:08:26 CDT