Re: Polling SQL Queries

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 16:35:00 -0700

KJD wrote:

>>Why do you insist on bringing a database on its knees by implementing
>>redundant functionality? If there is a problem you can query v$ views
>>to see what is going on. What does it help you to run such queries on
>>a routine basis. You won't be studying the output anyway, as you will
>>loose too much time to resolve the problems you inflicted up on
>>yourself by implementing those queries.
>>But if you think you MUST do it, go ahead, and enjoy
>>You are reinventing the wheel, you have be told so, but you seem to
>>like wasting your time and your boss money
>>

>I think you need to chillllllllllll. Therapeutic treatment can be
>helpful. Who is insisting and who is wanting to reinvent the wheel?
>My query is simple, "Which view can I query". The answer should be
>straight forward, either name the view or combination thereof, or tell
>me that it is not doable. If I needed a sermon, I would've gone to
>the Vatican. Who cares if it is going to bring the instance to its
>knees! How do you know what type of environment I am running? Maybe
>it is a school assignment! Don't get all bent out of shape, it is not
>worth it. It is OK to say "I don't know" once in a while.

Sybrand does know. But unlike you he isn't so cavalier in his attitude as to say "Who cares if it is
going to bring the instance to its knees!" ... he obviously does. And he appears responsible enough
to concern himself with concepts like ethics, responsibility, and other outmoded not so sexed up
concepts too from what I've seen.

If it is for a class project just say so ... in which case we will all tell you to go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look it up for yourself. Which is what I'm doing now.

We volunteer our time here to help people, but that doesn't mean we are oblivious to possible misuses
of our advice. Nor do we forget that behind each and every person posting there is likely a for-profit
company, a government agency, or a non-profit organization writing that person's paycheck and whose
Oracle database is potentially at risk.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu