Re: Holy Smoke!

From: Stu Charlton <stuartc_at_mac.com>
Date: 14 Sep 2003 02:38:05 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f632b3c$0$14560$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...

> Mind you, I've got nothing against new techniques. But I like to see
> things that are TRULY new. Not just half-baked rehashes of ages old
> technology: that serves no purpose whatsoever other than fill the
> purses of marketing "gurus".

I'm not so sure there is anything truly "new" beyond Fortran and LISP ;-)

The paper I usually recommend of his is "Principles and Patterns", available here:
http://www.objectmentor.com/resources/articles/Principles_and_Patterns.PDF which is rather enlightening, I think, but not anything too revolutionary. When you ever get around to reading it, I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts.

His later stuff on software craftsmenship and extreme programming stuff I've shied away from thus far. There's some merit in it but the approaches are too hyped and prone to abuse (just as patterns were, and models, and.. etc.).

> Thanks for the info, BTW. Most welcome. I spent so much money and time
> buying and reading works from people that are supposed to be experts and are
> nothing but bad cooks, I'm now entirely too cynical about the whole OO+J2EE
> bandwagon. It's super to get some good references, rather than waste my time
> with even more garbage.

Well, I should be thanking you, actually. Stumbling on Tom Kyte's books and lurking on this newsgroup for a year has tremendously changed my view of software development for the better. My J2EE friends don't like talking to me anymore :-)

Cheers
Stu Received on Sun Sep 14 2003 - 04:38:05 CDT