Re: Company thought DB2 will be better than Oracle.

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 20:57:51 -0700

Darin McBride wrote:

>Daniel Morgan wrote:
>

>>Mark A wrote:
>>
>>Sorry to say this but the code base for Oracle is 100% identical between
>>platforms. I can develop on Win98, export tables, data, code, etc.
>>Import directly to any other platform-operating system that Oracle
>>supports and it runs, perfectly, with zero modifications.
>>

>I think you're confusing _Oracle_ code being identical, and the
>_interface_ being identical.

Not at all. After as many years as I have with both products that proposition has a zero probability.

> I highly suspect that both Oracle and DB2
>for LUW have pretty much the same proportion of "identical" code
>between all supported platforms vs "platform-specific" code, and that
>their APIs would stay 100% the same across all supported platforms.

I suspect, no I know, you are incorrect.

>>The only difference I can possibly think of would be things that are
>>path specific such as c:\temp changing to /opt/.
>>
>>It isn't about insulting your intelligence ... it is a fact.
>>

>I think it's more like a misunderstanding.

Not a misunderstanding at all. One product uses PREVVAL the other CURRVAL. They are different. This just happens to be one of the differences.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu