Re: Polling SQL Queries

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:13:23 +0200

On 13 Sep 2003 07:03:49 -0700, kjdama_at_yahoo.com (KJD) wrote:

>> v$sqlarea captures the number of executions.
>> The problem with your approach is that tools like you propose to
>> develop usually impose a significant overhead on the database.
>> You would also better use statspack as it is already capable of
>> tracking sql.
>>

>At any one point in time can I query Oracle for what SQL queries it is
>executing at this very point in time. There must be a way to tell me
>what Oracle is busy doing at any point in time.

Why do you insist on bringing a database on its knees by implementing redundant functionality? If there is a problem you can query v$ views to see what is going on. What does it help you to run such queries on a routine basis. You won't be studying the output anyway, as you will loose too much time to resolve the problems you inflicted up on yourself by implementing those queries.
But if you think you MUST do it, go ahead, and enjoy You are reinventing the wheel, you have be told so, but you seem to like wasting your time and your boss money

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Sat Sep 13 2003 - 17:13:23 CDT