Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:51:56 -0700

Domenic G. wrote:

>Daniel is so busy teaching theoretical examples he just doesn't have
>the real-world experience that comes with an application where you
>CANNOT inject hints such as these into the code. I use COST as well,
>when appropriate, but if Oracle really has fully dropped RBO in 10g, I
>think it will be suicide for them in some way. Don't abandon
>something that works. And, by the way, the reason why RBO doesn't
>pick up on new features is because Oracle is too lazy to retrofit the
>RBO code with them -- function index, partition, etc.
>
>Cheers ...
>Domenic.

Daniel has been teaching part-time for four years and has been in the IS/IT industry as a developer and
DBA likely since before you were born.

I've got real-world experience that goes back to breadboards and punchcards so be careful about drawing
conclusions based on a lack of knowledge of the subject. If you wish to criticize I'd suggest you stick to those things of which you have some actual knowledge.

If you think the reason for the death of the RBO is Oracle's lazyiness ... you are seriously lacking insight into even the most basic aspect of what Oracle is doing and why. When was the last time you read those 17 rules?
Think you can do better and handle all of the capabilities now in the product? And yes I mean all of them. I
mean spatial, I mean text, I mean CLOB and BLOB and XML, new table types, user-defined data types,
new index types, all of them, and all of the features still on the drawing board and not yet implemented.

If you can ... I'll get you a guest lecture position at the University of Washington.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu