Re: Fed Up with being a DBA

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:43:07 -0700

Comments interspersed.

Noons wrote:

>"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1063468400.388132_at_yasure...
>

>>When I see bulk binds and FORALL in one of these packages I'll agree.
>>And they aren't all pure OLTP inserts. Some do real processing.
>>

>The poster was talking SPECIFICALLY about OLTP apps. They do NOT need
>bulk binds or FORALL. Those features are useful for the likes of DSS or
>CRM. IOW, the Peoplesofts and SAPs of this world. Which mostly do NOT
>use them. Because their code has to be compatible across different database
>makers. Bulk binds and forall are hardly so.
>
>But none of those are OLTP. And the point was about OLTP.
>Not general purpose apps.

I've reviewed the thread and you are correct. Mea culpa.

>>The internals byte-by-byte block dump by block dump. What I mean is that
>>you need to understand how it works and act appropriately. Something as
>>simple as running DBMS_STATS regularly is often enough. Something not
>>required or done by those still clinging to the RBO and its fixed rules.
>>

>Sure. But to claim that 7-8 version users are incapable of using anything
>other than RBO is IMHO wishfull thinking. Fact is: CBO WAS available in those
>versions. AND buggy. Still is in 9ir1, you need quite a few patches to
>make it work fine. And we heard here recently of where it STILL is buggy in 9ir2.
>
>Let's not blame users for what Oracle puts out. And you know very well
>that many here have been ramming CBO down everyone's throats since 8.0.
>Despite the fact the darn thing has always been buggy in those versions.
>It's not the user that has a problem, it's the software.
>

>>I'd agree with you except that here in the Pacific Northwest region of
>>the U.S. there is a huge pool of people with years of Oracle experience:
>>And they are unemployed. The reason is that there is a large enough pool
>>

>That has NOTHING to do with the version(s) of Oracle they know about.
>And EVERYTHING to do with the current market and the re-definition of
>the DBA job by Oracle themselves. AND a few other factors.

I disagree. We have people here whose experience is all v7 and 8.0 and they are essentially unemployable. About as likely to find a job as someone with Algol or RPG II. Well perhaps a bit better but not much.

>Like a huge IT recession you folks are finally going through (we've been in it
>for years now) and the outsourcing of trivial jobs to 3rd world countries
>(which we've lived with for years and is FINALLY reaching you folks).
>Those are the REAL reasons for the unemployment.

Of course. My point was that the jobs that remain ... are going to those with the best and most current experience. I wasn't engaging in FUD ... after all ... what are the chances you, or anyone else is flying to Seattle to attend a university? Zero!

>>of highly qualified people that those with old skills, out of date
>>skills, and less than senior skills are no longer needed.
>>

>So, the solution is for all those with old skills, out of date skills
>AND less than senior skills to upgrade to 10G? I don't think so:
>if they are unemployed, by definition they CANNOT upgrade to 10G!

But they can learn it and enhance their chances of finding a job that isn't brain-dead.

>Besides, moving to the latest, whitest and brightest has never done
>ANYTHING for one's skills. Training is the key, IF there is a demand
>for the skills. There isn't. Oracle has made sure of that, with their
>push for outsourcing and their "ease of use" marketing. They shot
>themselves on the foot.

Shot a few DBAs perhaps. But I don't think Larry is ordering the dinner salad because he can not longer affor the Ceasar's.

Nothing in our industry is static. If it was I'd still be banging out Fortran IV on punchcards. The DBAs job has changed. It seems to me Oracle is changing the definition such that the skill set now includes 9iAS, SOAP, XML, etc. Just as developers must learn CBO ... DBAs can no longer sit back and assume that installation, configuration, backup and restore are enough to keep hauling in the paychecks.

>>I had the CIO of a major companyl tell me yesterday he no longer felt
>>there was any reason to use his budget to train people when there were
>>so many highly qualified people looking for work.
>>

>Bingo. It's called offer and demand. Guess what: he is totally RIGHT!

I agree.

>The people out there are HIGHLY qualified, not some retarded old farts
>completely out of touch with reality. And there are heaps of them.
>
>The problem is NOT the version they know. It NEVER was. Versions mean
>NOTHING, if one doesn't know the basic principles of the job.

Version is definitely part of the picture here and all I can speak of is the situation here. Employers just are not interested in people whose experience is on older versions.

>>So people may or may not be scared. That's there business. But those
>>signing their paychecks no longer feel the need to hire bodies with less
>>than optimal skills and train them. Three of his employees just
>>registered at the U using their own money and out of a concern that they
>>not be replaced.
>>

>There is also something called on-the-job training. Which training
>organisations nowadays point blank refuse to recognize. And was
>for MANY years one of the best ways to ensure employee permanence
>and good bang for $. I still have to hear one argument that sticks
>for it not to be used nowadays.

Short-sighted focus on short-term profitability?

>>So it may not be true everywhere ... but it is true here.
>>

>Believe me: we've been seeing this problem in Australia for
>YEARS now. Nothing new. I've also got news for you: it's got
>NOTHING to do with what version of Oracle you're running or know about
>and it's gonna get MUCH worse.

You keep saying that. But I am called in by employers to review resumes, interview candidates, and suggest
former students for positions: Just had one from a local phone company do that with me Friday. His exact
words ... "I want someone that knows Oracle 9i, knows Solaris, and knows billing systems." If I brought him
someone with 8.0.4 experience I'd be risking my own relationship with his company.

>I'll also add: Not only will the rate of upgrade to 9-10 slow
>down, but also MANY will examine their options in favour of
>OTHER products when it comes time to upgrade. There is no point
>in continuing to use a product that is unnecessarily expensive,
>as buggy as any other product out there, requires senior skills
>in order to be used efficiently and that is constantly re-defining
>the skillset needed to use it (thereby forcing costly re-training).
>
>It's not the client at fault: it's the product. Thank Oracle for that.
>

>>Then from now on you won't be able to say that. Here are three:
>>
>>Partitioned Tables
>>Index Organized Tables
>>Function Based Indexes
>>
>>Want more? There's a very long list.
>>

>I'm perfectly aware of the list, you are preaching to the converted.
>My problem is HOW to make the new versions of CBO useful for those that
>will NEVER use any of these features.

Don't get me started on all the people that pay huge amounts of money to Oracle and then use 1/10th the functionality they paid for because they don't even know what is in the package they purchased.

>I'm referring to arguments for the CBO that WILL convince someone
>using an older version to upgrade. Small things that will TRULY help
>make life easier for someone running one of the disaster apps I talked about.

Some people will likely stay on 7.x forever. Ask Sybrand ... he seems to know a few of them. ;-)

I don't think it is my reponsibility to sell Oracle. I'm no being paid to be an evangelist. What I am arguing is simply that there is no excuse for people writing LTRIM(RTRIM(some_value)) and there is no excuse for not moving to the CBO. Oracle has made their decision and it isn't going to be recinded. History teaches that in this industry those that don't stay current end up flipping burgers. So out of vested self-interest developers should made sure they stay current just as an attorney (barrister) that is not familiar with the latest law decrees is of limited value.

>Things like stored outlines, portable stats and partitioned indexes.
>Oracle themselves recognized their value once they started their own service
>bureau: you simply CANNOT run one without those.
>
>These are features that TRULY help the poor sods out there stuck with
>horribly designed apps. Who have NO HOPE in heck of ever seeing their makers
>use a partitioned table or an IOT or a FBI.
>
>This is how Oracle&Co should be pushing for upgrades. Not features that
>will NEVER be used by 3rd party apps. Like it or not, the VAST majority of
>sites uses canned apps. Ignore them, you are ignoring the largest customer
>section. Call them ignorants, and they'll leave faster...

Those poor sods should (A) convince management to replace the garbage, (B) find another job, (C) say
Kaching every time they cash their paycheck and spend their spare time doing something fun like sailing
and skiing.

I have plenty of local companies with canned apps that send students to the U. They do so because they
sooner or later discover that they have business needs the canned app can't handle. It starts with a report
or two ... it ends up with needing competent developers.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
(replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)