Re: 9iR2 on SuSE - where is oratab?

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 15:24:11 GMT

Zafer AKTAN wrote:

> Glen A Stromquist wrote:
>

>> After some minor hair-pulling I've managed to get the 9i software
>> installed on SuSE 7.3 pro, despite mysteriously losing the
>> functionality of "su" somehow near the end of the install.(I had to
>> log out and back in as root to run the root.sh script then do a manual
>> "relink all") But I'm missing the oratab file, I found this out when
>> after using dbca to create some basic create scripts it goes ahead and
>> tries to create the database anyway.
>>
>> Thinking back thru the install I *think* that I may have accidentally
>> ran the root.sh script rather than the orainstRoot.sh script when
>> prompted to. I think that this would also explain why the universal
>> installer does not see anything installed when I get it to check for
>> installed products (I was going to blow it all away and redo from
>> scratch, *taking notes this time*)
>>
>> I cant find the orainstRoot.sh file so I'm assuming that its
>> created/deleted during the install? Can I run it again (if I find it)
>> or should I just take the oratab file from an 8i install on SuSE and
>> edit it. There is also the issue of the inventory pointer that I think
>> the .sh script creates. I'd like to probably do a re-install just for
>> the sake of it, but I'd like to have the OUI do the de-install first.
>>

>> TIA
>>
> I have not installed 9i on SuSE, but on Red Hat Linux the oratab file is
> located under the /etc directory.  Check it out, maybe installing it
> there under SuSE Linux too.
> hope this proves helpful
> regards
> Zafer AKTAN
> Oracle DBA/Developer

thanks..
Yes, thats where its supposed to be, but its noe,so its a simple enough file I'll just create it. (In hindsight I should have titled this post different) I'm more concerned about the inventory pointer and can/if I should run the orainstroot.sh file again. The relink all command seemed to go ok, so I guess I'll create a clone db of a production db and have some clients connect & see what happens... Received on Sat Sep 13 2003 - 10:24:11 CDT