authentication using x.509 certificates

From: Jesus J. <NOSPAMjjjj72_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:33:40 +0200

Hello

I have to migrate a web app (stored procedures on Oracle served by IAS 9), the app, actually, for security reasons, authenticate the users on the database (all the users are database users).

Now I have to face the migration to use client digital certificates (x.509) in the authentication of the users, I have the clear idea of how to do it from the web browser to the IAS (client-server ssl sesion), but I donīt know (and donīt know if it is possible) how to keep the users as database users and pass the logon of the users from IAS to the database, as far as I know it is not possible to establish ssl from web browser to the database directly without using oracle client (ssl and net8) ??

I have seen in the documentation, an example in which IAS connects to the database (IIOP over ssl), but I think that in this case, is IAS which authenticates against the database not the user, and I need to keep the users as database users.

So if anybody have ever faced this kind of problem on a web app, it would be great if it could give an idea about how to solve the problem!!!

Thank you very much!

Jesus
Spain

jjjj72(at)hotmail.com Received on Fri Sep 12 2003 - 14:33:40 CDT