Re: Diagnosing Transaction Enqueue (TX) Locking Issue

From: Ryan Gaffuri <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: 12 Sep 2003 09:14:50 -0700

Tim Callaghan <tcallahan_at_crunchtime.com> wrote in message news:<06k1mv4pj39g8992j15k36q10tfpg6h5hn_at_4ax.com>...
> We have an inhouse replication process which is causing us headaches
> when we try to run more than one copy of it against the same target
> database (we support unlimited remote databases so we may have to
> process in 20 replication files on a Monday morning).
>
> The issue I'm seeing is that computer 1 starts processing in the
> inserts/updates and continues through the process.
>
> Computer 2 starts processing inserts/updates fine as well but at some
> point gets blocked by computer 1.
>
> The lock is a TX lock and I'm trying to understand what could cause
> it.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Tim Callaghan

are you getting a table level TX lock or a row level TX lock? If its row level that is because your first computer is not committing or rollback so the row is still locked.

if its table level... are these child records with a foreign key constraint? if so index your foreign keys and the problem will go away. Received on Fri Sep 12 2003 - 11:14:50 CDT